Sunday, December 5, 2010

India

Known most often for its poverty and living conditions, India intrigues me.  Having talked to a couple people who have visited this country, I've heard that in some strange way, it's terrible but wonderful at the same time.  I feel like this is an experience I need to have.


Located in South Asia, most interesting to me about this location is the difference in culture.  Having a long history of strict social hierarchy, many Indians live in segregation.  As a part of their culture, religion is also a huge influence on their lives.  I would think it would be very interesting to visit a country where Christianity is not the dominant religion, which may be partially because I am Christian and differences in beliefs fascinate me.  Hinduism and Buddhism are the largest religions in India.


Two sites I would love to see that may be touristy in nature are, the Taj Mahal and Bahá'í House of Worship in Delhi.



Built in the 17th century, the Taj Mahal is considered one of the most beautiful buildings in the world.


Built in the shape of a lotus, it is known as the Lotus Temple, and was completed in 1986 and is meant to be a place where those of all religions could come and worship God.

Northern India also features the Himalayan mountains...you know I want to see those.  (there's just something aesthetically romantic about mountains...)  :)


More than anything, if I go to India someday, I think I would like to go in order to serve in some way.  I don't know how I could help or what organization I could go with, but I feel like that would be an awesome way to experience this country specifically.

Ciao,

Lauren



No comments:

Post a Comment