Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Volunteer...for a vacation?

Previous to...this past summer I guess, I had never really heard of a volunteer vacation.  I knew people went on missions trips to help people whether it was church related or service related, I knew about these trips.  However, when I heard about my friend's trip to Romania to volunteer at an orphanage, I was curious as to what one of these trips would be like.


While you still pay for the trip, you go for a particular reason whether it's manual labor, or in my friend's case, she went to work particularly with the children at the orphanage for three weeks this past summer.  Depending on the organization you choose to go with, the cost will differ as well as the locations.


The organization she chose is called United Planet, which you can check out at, http://www.unitedplanet.org/.  This organization offers a wide range of opportunities, including either short or long term trips, which may also depend upon which country you want to travel to, which is a range of over 40 countries.


So whether Romania and working with children is your interest, or your interest is all the way over to Australia, United Planet would most likely have something to catch your eye.


Also, a book I got at the library a while back, "Frommer's 500 Places Where You Can Make a Difference", is a really great insight to even more opportunities around the world.


Ciao,


Lauren



1 comment: